August 29, 2013

Healthier Mexican Style Stuffed Mushrooms


Day # 4 of my Cleaner Healthier Eating and it's still going really well!  I'm feeling so much better and I can't even hardly believe it.  Well, yes I can believe it.  I've cut out all the unhealthy stuff from my diet and I've really been committed to eating cleaner healthier foods.  What does that mean exactly?  I'll tell you what it means to me....  I want to have more energy.  I want to be able to stay awake and not nap.  I want my clothes to fit better! It means that I've cut out all processed foods as much as I can.  I'm eating more fruits, vegetables, cheeses, healthy dairy, meats & vegetarian products.  I'm trying to eat as much organic as I can and just trying to be overall healthier in my food choices.  


For those of you who don't know me... I have a huge problem with mexican food.  I seriously could eat it everyday.  All the salt and sodium are not good for me but really I still struggle with my craving.  A couple of months ago we made Taco Bites that we saw over at Living Well Spending Less.  They looked so delicious and we definitely were not disappointed when we made them. In fact... today a craving hit me and I stood in my kitchen trying to decide if I wanted to eat tortilla chips tonight.  

After a few minutes I had an idea.... why not make a healthier version and change it up a bit?  I had fresh mushrooms in the fridge just waiting to be used so I decided to make a Healthier version of Taco Bites and made Mexican Style Stuffed Mushrooms instead.  

Healthier Mexican Style Stuffed Mushrooms 
*I made a small batch for one person so that's what I'm going to list for ingredients.  If you want to make more then just double the recipe*
4-6 medium mushrooms of your choice
1/2 cup Morning Star Farms Grillers Recipe Crumbles (you could also use shredded chicken too)
3 green onions 
1/4 cup black beans 
ground cumin (only a few sprinkles or it will be really spicy, use to taste)
ground chipotle chili powder (only a few sprinkles or it will be really spicy, use to taste)
1 garlic clove, minced 
shredded cheddar cheese (you only need a little bit) 
olive oil

Directions
In a medium skillet add your Recipe Crumbles, 1/2 of the green onions, black beans, minced garlic, ground cumin, and chipotle chili powder.  Cook over medium heat until crumbles start to brown.  

On a foil lined baking sheet use a napkin to spread a little bit of olive oil around so your mushrooms don't stick to the foil.  Add your meat mixture by tablespoons full into your mushrooms.  Top with a little sprinkle of cheese.  

Bake in the oven at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until the mushrooms are tender and the cheese has started to brown on the top.  

Remove from the oven and sprinkle with the remaining green onions.  Top with a little dab of organic salsa, serve & enjoy! 

* Please keep in mind that my version of Cleaner Healthier Eating is just that... it's my version compared to the foods that I've eaten my whole life.  I'm always open to suggestions in the comments section from my readers on how I could make my meals Cleaner & Healthier!  Thanks for taking the time to read this post!         

1 comment:

  1. What a fun twist on a stuffed mushroom! Thanks for sharing at Sweet & Savory Saturdays #28.

    ~Amber @ DessertNowDinnerLater.com

    ReplyDelete